While there are a host of roofing issues you may come across over a lifetime of your roof, some are more common than others. Sooner or later, an asphalt shingle roof will require repairs, whether for normal wear and tear or severe weather damage.
Some repairs are quite unique in nature. Most likely, however, you will be dealing with one of the few common problems we see on a regular basis when inspecting roofs across Delaware.
5 Most Common Shingle Roofing Repairs in Residential Roofing
There are several types of damage that will require repairs. The sooner you handle those the better. Waiting too long (for better weather, better contractor, better financial situation) may cause further damage – and cost you more to repair in the end.
The five most common repairs include:
- Damage from hail, wind, or ice dams: Ice dams can be more than a nuisance. While shingle roofing is made to withstand assaults from mother nature, no roof can hold up to the most severe weather. An expert roofing contractor may be able to repair/replace individual shingles. In some cases, however, your roof may be beyond repair, and need complete replacement.
- Improperly sealed vent pipes: Over time, the seals around your vent pipes may wear out, requiring repair.
- Leaky skylights : A common roof leak repair, skylight leaks are generally due to either improper installation or worn-out seals.
- Chimney flashing: Flashing is the sheet metal that maintains a watertight seal between the chimney and the roof. Proper chimney flashing includes installation of both step flashing and counter flashing. If chimney flashing pulls away or is damaged by wind or hail, water may leak into your attic and your home’s interior.
- Roof valleys: A common collector for leaves, limbs, snow and ice, roof valleys can be problematic at times. Keeping your roof free of debris encourages the natural downward flow of water, which helps to keep your shingle roofing in good shape.
Need Shingle Damage Repaired?
If you notice any damage or signs of excessive wear on your shingle roofing, it’s important to address it as soon as possible to keep water from seeping underneath and rotting the underlying wood. Sometimes the cause of a problem/leak is hard to determine – the location of the leak may not directly indicate the problem’s location. This is why hiring an experienced roofing contractor is critical. Roofing repairs that are done without a thorough inspection are seldom successful, and the homeowner may then face an even costlier remedy.
When looking for professional help, do your research. By hiring a reputable, licensed roofing contractor, a homeowners will avoid the pitfalls of poor shingle roofing repairs, something quite common when dealing with an inexperienced, fly-by company.
At All Roofing Solutions, we’re proud to have a skilled team dedicated to servicing all your roofing needs. We’re a family owned and operated Delaware & southeastern Pennsylvania roofing contractor with over 15 years of experience in replacing, repairing, and inspecting roofs for residential and commercial clients.
To schedule your FREE roofing estimate contact our Delaware team at 302-725-ROOF (7663), or our Pennsylvania crew at 610-551-ROOF (7663). And don’t forget to ask about our discount of $400 off any complete roofing installation job!!!