Proper installation is vitally important to the successful life of any roof. The fact is, however, that all types of roof systems can be prone to potential workmanship or installation errors, shortening the lifespan of the roof.
Shingle Roofing Installation: Common Mistakes Made by Contractors
In the installation of shingle-roofing, there are several common mistakes that need to be avoided, including:
- Inadequate or improper underlayment application. Underlayment serves as weatherproofing barriers beneath the roof’s asphalt shingles. Incorrectly applied moisture barriers can lead to leaking roofs. An experienced roofing contractor will install a waterproof, adhesive membrane along valleys and eaves, as well as ice and water shields to protect wood decking, chimneys, pipe flanges and roof connections.
- Improper shingle nailing. To prevent leaks and blown-off shingles, it’s very important that roof shingles are properly nailed. Nails should be driven straight into the deck, and should penetrate a minimum of 3/4 of an inch through the deck. Following the manufacturer’s specifications, including both the placement and number of nails, will provide a tight seal between the shingle and the decking.
- Leaving out the starter strip. A common error among inexperienced roofers, the absence of a proper starter strip fails to provide an appropriate base for shingle application. Following the manufacturer’s specifications, the starter shingles should be applied at the rake and continue along the eaves.
- Reusing old flashing. When replacing an existing roof, the old flashing may look serviceable, but there is always a possibility that it has been punctured or damaged. New flashing is a small component in the cost of a roof replacement. Always install new flashing.
- Shingles do not overhang at the eaves. The shingles should overhang the eaves and the rakes by a minimum of 1/2 inch.
Hiring an experienced contractor can make all the difference in the proper installation of a shingle roof.
We’ve Been Installing Roofs Since 1998!
At All Roofing Solutions, we have a team of reliable, experienced roofing professionals dedicated to servicing all your roofing needs. We’re a family owned and operated Delaware & southeastern Pennsylvania roofing contractor with over 15 years of experience in replacing, repairing, and inspecting roofs for residential and commercial clients.
All Roofing Solutions specializes in installation of GAF Timberline shingles, including High Definition (HD), Ultra HD, Prestique, energy-efficient Cool series and Lifetime Designer shingles. GAF offers #1-selling shingles that are durable, practically priced and provide genuine wood shake look.
To schedule your FREE roofing estimate contact our Delaware team at 302-725-ROOF (7663), or our Pennsylvania crew at 610-551-ROOF (7663). And don’t forget to ask about our discount of $400 off any complete roofing installation job!!!