When a shingle roof needs repair, the cause is not always easy to determine. Usually a roof leak is the first indication of trouble, but the location of the leak may not directly indicate the problem’s location.
Damaged or improperly installed shingles allow water to seep underneath and sometimes accumulate several feet from the source. This pooled water may then cause further degrading of the roof and sub-roof materials. Roofing repairs that are done without a thorough inspection are seldom successful, and the homeowner may then face an even costlier remedy.
This is where the expertise of a skilled roofing contractor comes in.
All Roofing Solutions has been helping Delaware homeowners transform their homes from old to new for well over 15 years! If you need an experienced Delaware roofing contractor ready to handle all types of roofing repairs, call (302) 740-7727.
5 Shingle Roofing Repair Mistakes to Avoid
To avoid such a situation, the homeowner should be aware of some of the common mistakes made in shingle roofing repair:
- Inadequate or faulty base: A surface repair does not address problems that arise from damaged decking or improperly installed underlayment. For best results, roof shingles should be removed so that an examination of the deck and sheathing can be conducted.
- Incorrectly installed shingles: Proper alignment of shingles, especially the starter course, is critical for a successful repair job. Care should be taken to offset joints and to be sure shingles lay flat. Ignoring these considerations may lead to the development of leaks that are hard to detect until serious damage is done.
- Improper or not enough fastening: A good repair job depends on decking, underlayment and shingles that are all properly attached. Inadequate fastening allows wind to raise shingles, moisture to work its way through the layers, and leaks to develop.
- Poorly installed flashing: Flashing is needed to channel moisture away from critical areas. Adequate flashing in valleys and around chimneys, skylights, vents, and satellite dish installations keep these vulnerable areas from allowing water to penetrate the roof.
- Ignoring manufacturers’ specifications: Failure to follow guidelines may void manufacturers’ warranties. Proper preparation and installation ensures a quality repair job and maintains the warranty.
We Have Extensive Roofing Repair Experience
By hiring a reputable, licensed roofing contractor, a homeowners will avoid the pitfalls of poor shingle roofing repairs, something quite common when dealing with an inexperienced, fly-by company.
When you need an expert, contact All Roofing Solutions. Whether it’s post-hurricane repairs or chimney flashing replacement, we have the experience and skills to handle any roof leak repair project. With over 15 years experience in roof repair and installation, we make sure the job is done right, with quality products and following industry-leading standards.