Among the many materials used in modern residential roofing, metal roofing has become an increasingly popular alternative to traditional asphalt shingles. Typically constructed of steel, aluminum or copper strips, metal roofing offers great protection for your home and has countless advantages.
Metal Roofing Benefits
Some of the many advantages of metal roofing:
- Lightweight & portable: About ¼ the weight of a tile roof, and roughly ½ the weight of asphalt shingles.
- Durability: Metal roofing is highly resistant to hail and wind damage. It is also more resistant to fire, and can last up to three times the lifespan of an asphalt shingle roof.
- Low-maintenance: Most metal roofing products require very little or no maintenance.
- Energy efficiency: Metal roofs are considered among the most energy efficient types of roofs. They reflect a greater share of the sun’s rays and, depending on any coating applied to the metal, homes may see a savings of 20 to 30 percent on air conditioning costs.
- Style: More than any other roofing material, metal roofs are available in a wide array of colors, styles, and textures. Metal roofing can greatly enhance the appeal of a home. Copper roofing, in particular, is a very attractive option. Over time, copper roof changes color, adding character and beauty to a home.
Disadvantages of Metal Roofing
Of course, any roofing option has disadvantages to consider, but the advantages of metal roofing far outweigh these factors.
- Cost: The initial expense of a metal roof is generally higher than other roofing options. As the price of oil continues to rise, however, the cost difference between metal and asphalt roofing is beginning to narrow—since oil is a primary ingredient in asphalt shingles.
- Noise: Metal roofs can be noisier than other alternatives.
- Snow: Accumulated snow may slide off of metal roofs, causing damage and injury to people and property below. Properly installed snow guards are often used to stop snow from sliding.
There are also a couple of common misconceptions regarding metal roofing. There is some concern among homeowners that hail will dent their roof, but many reputable metal roofing materials are produced with a guarantee against denting. Another concern is whether lightning may be attracted to a metal roof, but this concern has proven to be unfounded.
Call All Roofing Solutions to Learn More
To learn more about competitively priced metal roofing options contact All Roofing Solutions, your family run and operated Delaware roofer. With over 15 years of experience installing all types of roofs, we have the expertise and knowledge to handle any type of project, residential or commercial.
To schedule your FREE roofing estimate contact our Delaware team at 302-725-ROOF (7663), or our Pennsylvania crew at 610-551-ROOF (7663). And don’t forget to ask about our discount of $400 off any complete roofing installation job!!!