Regardless of the type of material covering your roof, roofing maintenance is something a homeowner can’t ignore. Your roof’s ability to protect your home, as well as its durability and lifespan, depends on regular inspection, maintenance and repair. Left unattended, minor roof maintenance issues can lead to roof leaks and thus become big, costly headaches.
Asphalt shingles, the most common material in residential roofing today, require occasional maintenance as well – all fall is the best time to handle your yearly inspection.
6 Steps to Shingle Roofing Maintenance
Here are 6 important steps in maintaining healthy shingle roofing:
- Clear debris, moss & algae from your roof. Leaves, twigs, trash and other miscellaneous debris tends to soak up water and can damage your shingles. Your roof is designed to channel water away from your home, and excess debris makes this task more difficult. You’ll want to check for debris on a regular basis.
- Check flashings for damage, corrosion, or holes that may need repair or replacement.
- Loose or damaged shingles can be a common problem. Over time, high winds, hail, tree branches and other debris can take a toll on shingle roofing. Often, a little roofing cement may be all that’s needed to repair a loose shingle tab. If the shingle is damaged, you’ll want to have it replaced.
- Check caulking/sealants around the roof for cracking or other damage. Old, worn sealants should be replaced before water seepage causes problems.
- Check your gutters and downspouts for debris or blockage. Trim back any overhanging tree limbs to minimize the debris that may collect on the roof. The gutter and downspout system play a critical role in roof maintenance.
- Finally, you’ll want to check the quality of your attic ventilation & insulation – poor attic air circulation can lead to ice dams, mold & mildew, and structural damage. Your roofing contractor will be able to assess whether your roof has enough vents and your insulation levels are sufficient.
Have You Roof Inspected This Fall!
Performing a little routine roof maintenance can go a long way in keeping your shingle roofing in tip-top shape. If you’ve fallen behind, or need a professional to inspect your roof for possible damage, contact All Roofing Solutions, your Delaware & Pennsylvania roofing repair specialists in business since 1998!
We’re here to help with all your roofing needs, and are available to assist with roof leak repairs, new installations and roofing upgrades. To schedule your free consultation, call 302-725-ROOF (7663) in Delaware or 610-551-ROOF (7663) in Pennsylvania.