While roof maintenance may be the last thing on your mind during the chilly weather, one could make the case that roof care is more important in winter than at any other time of year. This is largely due to the threat of ice dams, which can wreak havoc on your roof and attic and cause major damage.
5 Steps To An Effective Winter Roofing Maintenance
Here is a winter roof maintenance checklist to help you cover your bases:
- Inspect your gutters regularly for signs of ice dams and icicles forming. Large icicles hanging off your gutters are the telltale sign of ice dams, but they aren’t always this conspicuous. Additionally, if too much ice builds up, gutters can become too heavy and rip away from the home, leaving you with damage and hefty gutter repair bills. If you find any ice dams blocking your down spouts, remove them right away.
- Clogged gutters and downspouts can’t channel water and snowmelt away from your home which can lead to serious damage. Ensure your downspouts and fascia are not clogged by ice, snow or other debris such as stray branches or dead leaves. And while you’re at it, inspect your downspouts for any leaks or signs of excessive wear.
- Scan your roofing surface for any sign of wind damage. If heavy winds accompany a winter storm, make a visual inspection of your roof once the weather calms down to see if any shingles have come loose or gone missing. Missing, broken, or bruised roof materials can lead to a variety of problems in your home, including leaks, mold and mildew. These will need to be replaced promptly to prevent leaks and other problems associated with shingle gaps.
- Use a roof rake to remove excess snow buildups on your rooftop. As a general rule of thumb, more than one foot of snow could potentially cause damage. However, to be on the safe side, some experts recommend raking any accumulation greater than six inches off your roof. Never stand on an icy roof! Rake the roof from a ladder, and make sure that someone is home or nearby when you are on the ladder.
- If you haven’t already and weather conditions still permit, apply a weatherproof coating to all parts of your roof with gentle or even slopes. This will help you avoid roof leaks down the road.
Contact Professional Roofer For Help!
Do you need your roof inspected? Are you’re facing roof leak repairs and need help?
If you’d like to schedule an inspection to diagnose specific problems or evaluate the overall condition of your roof, contact All Roofing Solutions. Serving residential and commercial customers in Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania, we’ve been installing & repairing roofs since 1998!
Backed by our satisfied customers and a proven track record for excellence, we offer generous warranties, top-quality materials and experienced contractors who get the job done right the first time. We are proud of our craft and stand behind our work 100% – please check our project gallery & read customer reviews on Google.
Protect your home by scheduling a roofing & gutters inspection/maintenance today! Call 302-725-ROOF (7663) in Delaware or 610-551-ROOF (7663) in Pennsylvania or request a Free Quote online!