There’s nothing like prevention, when it comes to roofing. Any roof leaks or other problems you experience with your roof during the winter can be doubly difficult to deal with, since snowfall and cold temperatures make repairing roof issues even more complex than usual. Therefore, it’s important to address potential problems in the fall, before the winter weather wrecks havoc.
Residential Roofing: 5 Tips for a Leak-Free Winter
The old adage that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure definitely applies when it comes to wintertime roof leaks.
With that in mind, here are five tips to follow to ensure you enjoy a leak-free winter:
- Keep your roof clean. Debris is one of the leading causes of roof damage and leaks. Ensure that it is free of dead leaves, wayward branches, garbage and other waste.
- Trim overhanging tree branches. If you have trees with branches that hang over your roof, have the branches trimmed. This will greatly reduce the amount of organic debris that ends up on your roof in the first place, making the need for roofing repairs less likely.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters lead to ice dams, which can cause major problems in your attic and the upper floor of your home. Be sure your gutters are free of leaves and other debris before the temperature starts to drop below freezing on a regular basis.
- Upgrade your attic insulation. A well-insulated attic can prevent a lot of roof leaks, since many winter leaks are caused by snow which melts because too much heat escapes through the roof you’re your home. Insulation inhibits heat transfer, making this scenario less likely to occur.
- Use a roof rake. These handy products are ideal for removing excess snow accumulation from your roof, which is another excellent way to prevent roof leaks & ice dams. Just take care not to snag the rake on your gutters as you draw it back down.
Should you need any further advice on winter roof maintenance, or help with roofing repairs for your home, contact the roofing professionals at All Roofing Solutions. We provide affordable, professional roofing repair and maintenance services to both residential and commercial clients throughout Delaware and southeast Pennsylvania.
Call our DE office at 302-725-ROOF (7663) or our PA location at 610-551-ROOF (7663) for your free estimate today!