With constant exposure to the elements, roof shingles have to bear a heavy burden over their lifetime. Eventually, it’s inevitable that they will wear down.
If you have damaged roof shingles, it’s essential that you repair the problem promptly. Otherwise, you could end up with a leaky roof and, potentially, serious structural damage to your home’s roof, attic and frame.
The good news is that repairing asphalt shingle roof is usually not difficult. With a few basic tools and some replacement shingles, you can fix minor roof damage in just a couple of hours. The important thing is to know how, so you can avoid common repair mistakes made by homeowners.
How to Replace Damaged Roof Shingles in 5 Easy Steps
- Prepare the area in need of repairs. The first thing you need to do is locate each of the damaged shingles. Then, loosen the adhesive grip of the shingles located two rows above the shingles you’re going to replace. Lift the corners of the loosened shingles to a 60-degree angle and use a crowbar to draw out the exposed nails.
- Move towards the damaged shingles. Repeat the previous step on the first row of shingles above the area you’re repairing.
- Remove the damaged shingles. Use the same process to loosen the shingles you’re actually going to replace, but instead of just loosening the adhesive, lifting the tabs and removing the nails, take the damaged shingle out of its position.
- Place your replacement shingles. Put a new shingle in place of the damaged shingles you’ve removed and nail it into place. Once it’s secure, nail the two upper rows of loosened shingles back into place, as well.
- Leave it like you found it. Your final step will be to reapply adhesive to the tabs of the loosened rows of shingles and paste them back to the roof. Once the adhesive sets, your roof will be good as new!
Hire a Roofing Contractor For More Significant Repairs
Of course, not all roofing repairs are easy. If your roof has suffered serious damage, or if you’re experiencing leaks or other problems you’re not able to fix yourself, you should consider hiring a professional contractor.
If you live in in Delaware or southeastern Pennsylvania, consider calling All Roofing Solutions for all your roofing repairs needs. With over 15 years in the roofing business, we have the skills necessary to handle any problem you’re facing, whether hail damage, high wind damage or water damage. Family owned and operated, we pride ourselves with excellent workmanship and great customer service!
Don’t let minor damage turn into costly roof replacement. Call today at 302-725-ROOF (7663) in Delaware or 610-551-ROOF (7663) in Pennsylvania for your FREE estimate. And don’t forget to ask about our discount of 15% off any roofing repair job.