Roofing replacement is more than just nailing down shingles. Today, effective roofing relies on advanced material technology and an integrated system approach aimed at protecting your biggest asset – you home.
Installing a new shingle roof is a huge commitment, so understanding the entire re-roofing process from start to finish can be highly beneficial to you as a homeowner. From questions about the cost involved to knowing the installation pitfalls to watch out for, there’s a lot of information that you need to familiarize yourself with if you want a successful replacement with no costly surprises along the way.
Residential Roofing: 7 Steps to Roof Replacement
Here at All Roofing Solutions, we’ve nailed down a re-roofing process that’s guaranteed to give you the best roof for your buck.
Whether we’re replacing a shingle, slate or metal roof, surface preparation is always the same.
#1 – Property Protection
Our first job is to assure that your entire property is fully protected while roofing replacement is underway. This includes siding, walls, plants, bushes, etc. We use tarps and protection plywood.
#2 – Removal of Old Roofing Material
All old shingles have to be completely removed in order to inspect wood decking.
#3 – Roofing Inspection
Every roofing replacement project begins with a thorough inspection of the wood decking. Any soft, wet or rotted wood needs to be replaced to create a solid base for your roofing structure. This is very important because only when you have a solid base for your roofing structure your shingles will stay intact.
Also, wood sheeting needs to be inspected to make sure that it is attached to the roof rafters the right way. Unfortunately, many roofing contractors do not check for missing nails during the removal old roofing material. They install new shingles without re-nailing the old wood decking. After the new shingles are installed you might be impressed at the sight of the whole structure, but after several weeks you will see many bumps on your roof.
We re-nail whole wood decking so that the roof is fully secured.
#4 – Preparing The Roof Surface For Shingles
- Drip Edge Installation – After wood decking is prepared we install drip edge at all edges of the roof. Drip edge is a piece of metal bend at 90 degrees to prevent rain from getting underneath roofing material on all edges.
- Ice and water shield installation – Next step is installing “ice and water shield” which is a special type of roofing underlayment. Ice and water shield sticks to the wood decking which prevents any water leaks. It must be installed at the bottom of the roof and at all roof penetrations (chimneys, pipe flanges, roof connections, etc.).
- Roofing felt installation – After ice and water shield is applied, the rest of the roof needs to be cover with roofing felt. Roofing felt prevents shingles from sticking to the wood. We always use heavy duty #30 roofing felt.
#5 – New Roofing Material Installation
After the above steps are completed and the base is ready, we start laying out the new roofing material, working from the bottom up, followed by step and/or counter flashing, ridge vents, and ridge capping installation, as needed.
#6 – Site Cleanup
We clean job site daily. We believe that we have to leave our job site cleaner than it had been before we came in.
#7 – Final inspection
Each roofing replacement project includes a meticulously performed, post-roofing inspection. We want to make sure that your roof replacement is done correctly and that it meets with your complete satisfaction.
Need New Shingle Roofing Installed?
All Roofing Solutions is a family owned and operated roofing contractor proudly serve Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania. We have been replacing, repairing, and inspecting roofs in the residential and commercial sectors for nearly 20 years and pride ourselves with excellent workmanship and great customer service!
If you need a quality roofer you can rely on, we’ve got your back!
- Family owned and operated Delaware & Pennsylvania roofing contractor.
- Fully licensed and insured.
- Nearly 20 years of experience with roofing & siding installation and repair.
- A+ rated BBB member
- Complimentary Extended Material warranty
- 30 year workmanship guarantee on full roof replacements
- Lien Waver to protect the homeowners from material liens
- Own crew – no subcontractors!
- Handling all types of residential and commercial roofing, windows & siding projects.
- Most re-roofing projects are completed in one day.
- Because we are efficient we are able to offer very competitive prices comparing to large contractors with bigger overhead.
- Each roofing/siding projects includes a meticulously performed, post-roofing inspection. We want to make sure that your roof replacement is done correctly and that it meets with your complete satisfaction.
- All projects are supervised by company owner to ensure high quality workmanship.
- Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed!