Any roof, old or new, is susceptible to damage due to extreme weather conditions. When your home is bombarded by heavy rains, storm, strong winds or hail, prompt emergency repairs are often necessary. Immediate intervention is critical since a damaged roof can directly affect the stability of the entire structure of the house.
But what if a contractor is not available right away? What if local roofers are busy handling crisis all over town and you have to patch things up yourself while waiting for professional help?
Today, we’re discussing steps you can take now to stop further surface and structural damage to your roofing system, and ultimately your home.
Emergency Roof Repairs: 6 Steps To Stopping Further Damage
- Wait until the weather improves or you may be doing more damage than repair! You can be swept away by the winds or stuck by lightning. You will also need favorable weather conditions (and light) to asses the condition of your roof.
- Once the extreme weather conditions have passed, the roof needs to be inspected. Some basic repairs and preventative measures can be handled by a homeowner. Most likely, however, a professional roofer will need to be called in to handle more serious weather damage repairs. An initial inspection will allow you to figure out the most effective way of stopping further damage before a roofer has a chance to handle repairs.
- The most important step you can take to prevent any further damage to your roof and house is to control the spread of the water seeping in. Any water getting inside the house will damage the internal structure and can become a source of serious structural damage.
- Likewise, any puddles of water or stagnant water forming on the roof should be promptly removed. If left unattended, this can be a major cause of roof leaks down the road.
- Next, you need to locate the exact source of the leak. This may be tricky but both external and internal inspection should provide enough clues to help you figure that out.
- Plug the leak if you can. Use patches, rubber sheets, sealants, tarps or duct tape. Your solution may not be pretty or long-term but will buy enough time for the roofer to get in there and repair the damage in a more permanent and effective way.
As you work on repairing your roof, remember to stay safe and take special care to not inflict further damage to your roof.
Call Professionals For Permanent Solution
For professional help with your emergency roofing repairs contact All Roofing Solutions, your local, family owned and operated Delaware roofing repair contractor. We’ll be happy to assist your with your emergency roofing repair, large and small.
Serving residential and commercial customers in Delaware and Southeastern Pennsylvania, All Roofing Solutions has extensive experience with all types of roofing systems and materials. With multitude of satisfied customers and a proven track record for excellence, we offer generous warranties, top-quality materials and experienced installation professionals who get the job done right the first time.
If you need a quality Delaware roofing contractor, call 302-725-ROOF (7663) in Delaware or 610-551-ROOF (7663) in Pennsylvania and request your FREE estimate today!