Roofing replacement can be one of the most expensive home improvement projects a Delaware homeowner will go through, but the good news is that with just a little TLC you can postpone replacing your roof for years to come.
The 3 most important things you can do to extend the life of your roof are regular inspections, proper maintenance & timely repairs.
Spring roofing inspections are very important because your roof can take quite a beating each winter. Your Delaware roofing contractor will assess the condition of your roof looking for a variety of potential problems. They will pay particular attention to:
- pooling water and ice damage: curled, cracked and bruised shingles, damaged storm collars and of course any visible and hidden leaks that might have developed over the course of winter months
- high wind damage: missing shingles, loose flashings, etc.
- gutter damage from heavy wind, ice and snow
While many handy homeowners are perfectly capable of checking their roof for any winter damage, hiring a professional inspection contractor should always be considered. Remember, a professional inspector is skilled and trained to conduct a thorough interior and exterior evaluation of the roof’s structure and knows where and how to look for leaks an untrained eye could easily miss.
Regular roof maintenance is a necessary part of lengthening the lifespan of your roof . For the most part you need to:
- check, clean and replace damaged gutters & downspouts,
- trim back tree branches & remove any debris that might have collected in roof valleys,
- ensure proper ventilation – without it, heat and moisture can accumulate in the attic, leading to roof rot and deteriorating insulation,
- check attic insulation – a properly insulated attic space will allow your roof to perform at peak efficiency.
If your shingles wear out or fall off, your naked roof is now exposed to wind, hail and rain, which will eventually cause it to rot or leak. Therefore, it’s important to handle any necessary roofing repairs right away.
- Replace missing or worn out shingles by carefully removing nails and fasteners, sliding a new, same-sized shingle into place and nailing it down. Cover each nail with roofing cement to prevent water penetration, and weight the shingle down overnight to ensure a tight seal.
- Check & repair damaged flashings. Look especially close around your chimney, skylights and valley regions, the 3 most common roof leak locations. Using small roof fasteners, tack down loose flashing and seal tack holes with roof cement. With more extensive damage, flashing replacements might be necessary.
Invest in a Professional Roofer
Your home is your biggest investment – don’t skimp on professional services that could save you thousands in the end. Hiring a reputable roofing contractor to handle your inspection is especially recommended.
Contact All Roofing Solutions for a comprehensive roofing inspection and you’ll not only get professional and thorough service but also a piece of mind that nothing was overlooked. We can evaluate weather damage, devise a maintenance plan that works for your roof—and provide you with a solution to all of your residential roofing needs!
For more information or to schedule a consultation, call 302-725-ROOF (7663) in Delaware or 610-551-ROOF (7663) in Pennsylvania. We offer Free Estimates and honest service, never take shortcuts, and ensure every step is done right!